POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : RIP Gary Gygax : Re: RIP Gary Gygax Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:22:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RIP Gary Gygax
From: Vincent Le Chevalier
Date: 8 Mar 2008 09:18:39
Message: <47d2a03f$1@news.povray.org>
Warp a écrit :
> Gail Shaw <initialsurname@sentech sa dot com> wrote:
>>> Tell me about it. I thought "dungeons and dragons" was a TV
>>> series...
>
>> Well, there is a spin-off cartoon series (ok) and 2 movies
>> (terrible)
>
> I'm not completely sure how they can say that a TV series or a movie
> is based on D&D, given that D&D is not, AFAIK, a story. If I'm not
> completely mistaken, D&D is basically just a set of rules of
> gameplay. The story itself is invented by the DM and the players as
> they go. The rules don't specify how the story should go (only how
> playing the game should go).

If I'm not mistaken there are two things in D&D, one are the rules, the
other is a more or less accurate description of the universe (what
monsters you can possibly encounter and so on). The rules are probably
somewhat specialized for the universe described.

So the films and series actually build up on the background universe of
D&D, which happens to be (tolkienish) fantasy. But the description of
dwarves, orcs, elves and so on, is based on what D&D says (which by the
way is a bit different from what Tolkien says, I believe).

--
Vincent